Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Marathoners and Their Feet

I am one of them and perhaps you are as well. Whether you have completed one or 100 marathons, it’s the one thing no one can ever take away from you – the title of a Marathoner. Marathoners know the work, dedication, sweat and sometimes blood spared in order to meet the challenge of completing a 26.2 mile race.

This year, I headed out to the Dallas White Rock marathon to cheer on the many folks I knew from previous years of coaching beginning runners, my local running club friends and people who have met me at the practice where I work. They were running either their first or returning to run another marathon. I found myself in a new position as a spectator watching from the sidelines. The main person I along with co-workers monitored was Dr. Crane and her running buddies or “peeps” we so affectionately refer to. I found it great fun to spend the evening before the race creating cheer signs, digging out my cowbell from my first marathon and even found the dandy matching whistle. I was ready to get my cheer on and show my non running friends what the marathon experience is all about.

As I stood to the side of the start line on race morning which was also the finish line for the marathon. I felt a lump in my throat and noted tears forming as I watched thousands of marathoners start off on their 26.2 mile journey. Part of me wanted to drop my signs and chase after the runners. I turned away at one point and thought – how about next year? Do you think the body can pull off another marathon? I then realized I already committed to a half ironman so I snapped out of it and was proud knowing my brain was available to stop the planning another addicting 26.2 for myself.

Soon thereafter I found myself doing one thing….I was staring at the runners and walkers feet. I guess I really am turning into a foot biomechanics junky!

I watched so many feet during the race my neck was sore the entire day after the race. I had to bite my lip quite a few times as I noted many runners were truly in the wrong type of running shoes. Have they honestly trained for six plus months in these shoes? Did they change their shoes last minute hoping for an easier or faster race? Were they victims of poor fitting or did they simply pull a pair of running shoes off the store shelf thinking they have the right shoe? Are they wearing orthotics and shoes that are causing the over or under correction? The questions went on and on in my head.

I then thought about the countless articles and opinions about running shoes. The continual updates on models, the new technologies, the uber-svelt materials, the components, the list goes on and on. Perhaps we can chalk this up to information overload for runners? Take note: if you are a runner or a person who was invigorated by watching all shapes and sizes run, walk or even crawl to the finish line do yourself a favor – have your feet checked out by a Certified Pedorthist or a Podiatrist who understand runners and running. I watched hundreds cross the finish line in pain, some grabbing a hamstring, some limping, some tearing their shoes off and running barefoot looking for comfort after the miles. Each runner should have had a different shoe type for their feet, especially the guy who threw his shoes to the side and ran the last strides in bare foot. So not to recreate the wheel on running shoe shoes, here are a few tips to keep in the back of your head when shoe shopping and to help prevent future running injures:

1. Learn about your feet, not the runner next to you and not the associate’s feet who is selling you shoes. What is your biomechanics? What is each foot measurement? What is the right running shoe size?
2. Seek an understanding of what you about to or have already put your feet through with distance running. For example, do you know how much force you are placing on your feet with each stride? The amount of force is actually quite eye opening.
3. Make sure you understand the shoe that you are placing on your feet. What does the shoe do for biomechanical correction and is this shoe right for your foot type?
4. Change out your shoes every 300-400 miles if not sooner. I know some shoe manufactures claim up to 500 miles however, I have had the opportunity to run in many running shoes (that were correct for my foot type of course) and I have yet to run hit the 500 mile mark without having thoughts of chewing off my lower limbs to alleviate pain.
5. Give your shoes a rest. Shoes need at least 48 hours of rest to “bounce” back.
6. Try running in different brands over time. If you keep going back to shoe A, that is fine. Keep an open mind however as I mentioned earlier, shoes are always changing and for that matter so are your feet!

So here is to future marathons to run, walk or simply watch. It’s an amazing life changing event and is one you will never forget. By the way, Dr. Crane and her peeps did great given the challenges faced with Mother Nature. I am proud of them as we all should be for those who accepted the challenge. Now get up off your chair and go for a run….or buy some shoes!

Janet Dixon, C.Ped.
For your feet….for your life!

No comments: