Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Journey to a Texas Ironman

Hi Everyone,

There is a lot of talk these days about drug testing triathletes. A practice once geared toward the pros has now evolved to encompass all participants. I see both sides of the issue however I still question if this change will truly deter age groupers with the win or go home attitude from using drugs. Something tells me not to bank on it.

The WTC recently announced drug testing will now be a random selection for all participants. The thing is there is a cost involved. Given each test averages $500.00, one would think not only is the test random….it could be seldom. What I have come to learn is the majority of triathletes I have had the privilege of meeting are honest, focused individuals. They want to see just how far they can push their body and are truly dedicated to the sport.

So what can we do to control the abuse? Nip at the core and start with yourself. The way I look at it, in 20-30 years from now, who is really going to stop the presses to revisit and honor the moment you won an age division? How can someone honestly live with themselves knowing they lied? Seems to me that would make most folks stop and think. The repercussions are another factor to think about. Triathlon is a tight community of athletes of all levels, shapes and sizes. Imagine if someone won your age division unethically by taking performance enhancing drugs? Once caught, the level of embarrassment, loss of relationships up to being banned from the sport just doesn’t add up. I could not think of anything more detrimental than to risk it all just for a piece of bling. My statement to the drug users: Grow up, be true to yourself and others. Otherwise just get out of our sport.

On another note, it’s race week! The Memorial Herman IronMan 70.3 Texas is next Sunday. Both Dr. Crane and I heading down to south Texas to give this race a whirl. Dr. Crane is ready for a fast race and that is a good thing. I listed out goals for myself and where I wanted to focus on improving. This race will be my very first salt water swim and look forward to giving it a “tri”. I am anticipating quick transitions then have a blast on Celeste the super tri bike and Dimples the helmet will make her debut. Lastly, the goal for the run is to see if I can run more than walk although the foot is still being a tad goofy. Worse case….I walk it and that’s okay. I wish all participants a fun, fast safe race and if your not racing, have a great week of training!

Talk to you next week from lovely Galveston Texas!
Janet

No comments: