Monday, September 20, 2010

The Journey to a Texas Ironman


Well folks, Branson 70.3 inaugural half IronMan was a success. No doubt about it, when officials say the bike route is challenging, they were telling the truth and then some!

We drove from Texas and as we arrived to Branson, the hills continued to multiply. I knew from the get go, this was going to be quite a different race. On race day, the weather was warmer than expected for the time of year. How lucky for me to leave heat to now race in heat. ;)

Race day swim was beautiful. While many participants wore wetsuits, I elected to not wear the wetsuit. I was very pleased with the confidence, sighting in the water and consistent strokes. I took the swim as the easiest part of the day. As the younger athletes entered the water after my wave, in no time at all they were right along side of me and sometimes swimming right over me. There were a lot of swimmers not sighting and swimming every direction but straight. I kept cool and just followed my routine. Leaving the water, I threw my husband my goggles and cap and with a smile ran to transition.

Transition one(T1) was uphill and more spread out than other races however it was uneventful and within minutes, I was on Celeste and off we went on an adventure. Fog was present in the beginning of the race and going downhill at a high rate of speed in this condition was a new challenge for me. The fog however would soon be missed as it was literally one uphill climb after another. The cool part on the bike course was the loop. As you were fighting up a hill, the opposite side of you the athletes were flying down the hill which included the pros. They were amazing as every move was controlled and fast.

During the ride, the heat kicked in with all sun and no clouds, I felt like SpongeBob squarepants trying to survive on dry land. As fast as I took in hydration, it was sweat right out of my pores. This is one race where nutrition was key. Many athletes of all levels were being pulled off the course with heat related issues.

Transition two (T2) was a snap, my bike position was close to the exit so no problem there. I had a chance to catch up with other riders next to me and all were relieved the bike course was over however the heat, humidity and direct sun were to be dealt with on the run.

Going into this race, I planned on walking most of the run. A nagging knee injury resulted in having my knee drained the same week of the race with a strong suggestion from the Doctor to go easy. So I behaved, somewhat, by taking it slow on the run. It turned out to be a LONG, HOT 13.1 miles. The heat finally got to me when I thought I was done then realized I took a wrong turn. I found a race official and with a smile he put me right back on course and I completed the 70.3 miles well before the cutoff.

On the drive home I was thinking that every athlete reflects the day after a race and think of what if scenarios such as “if only my knee did not hurt”, “if only I could have had a faster transition time”, “if only the sun went away”, and so on and so on. This is when your Sherpa, the one who keeps your head on straight and keeps you focused, reminds you that you did it and you finished it and how many people would never even dream of trying this distance. That was my husband, the master Sherpa or better known as my IronMate. Once again he took me from planning the trip to packing up everything to head home. Thank you Dennis, you will never know just how much what you do at each race means to me.

No comments: