Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Journey to a Texas IronMan

Hi Everyone!

It is hard to believe this was the final weekend of long workouts. On Saturday, a dear friend of mine and I completed over one hundred hilly, windy, sunshiny miles. A huge shout out to Laurie for hanging with me for the day. I even met a Facebook friend I have never met in person right on the course! Glad to meet you in person Stacy and I promise I will look for you as you volunteer on the run course at IM TX. You rock for being a volunteer !

The ride took place during the German fest rally in Muenster Texas. To meet the mileage requirement, I knocked out 40+ miles beforehand then had a ball on the rally’s long course. We would highly recommend this rally as there are three different course options and includes complimentary entry to the festival and beverage tickets to boot. The course has great scenery and had awesome aid stations with some of the friendliest volunteers I have seen in quite some time. The longer distance courses are for intermediate and above riders. For casual or beginner riders, consider the 35k distance, it is flat versus the hilly, longer course options. A group of us are already committed to ride next year so join us! Check out www.germanfest.net for more details and mark your calendar the last weekend of April 2012.

Afterward, we took in some awesome German food and I managed to meet new friends which included a person who wants to accomplish a sprint distance however does not know how to swim. The conversation was an instant flashback of two years ago with the realization of just how far things have moved right along to this very day. It was invigorating to welcome a new athlete to the world of triathlon.

Today, the last long run took place in the midst of cool, damp rainy weather. Many of my friends were running local races as well as the marathon in Oklahoma City. In a nutshell, the weather in OKC changed rapidly causing a delay and simply miserable conditions. For those of you who started racing in such weather conditions in OKC, I tip my running visor to you. For someone very special to me, it was a heart breaking day but you will have another race very soon and you will qualify for Boston. It’s what we do, we reflect then get right back into it. We will celebrate achieving your goal very soon.

Finally, a huge congrats goes to my coach who raced 70.3 St. Croix today. Taking third in her age group on such a brutal course is no joke. One day, I want to be just like my coach. Something tells me I have one heck of a long rode ahead to pull that one off but hey, why not? There I said it. You know what that means…..

Talk to ya next week,

Janet

No comments: