Friday, June 15, 2012

Time for an IronMan update.....


Hi Everyone,

Time to catch you up on IronMan training. Last year, it was all about finishing and experiencing the highs the lows and the in-betweens of Ironman training to the finish line. This year has been a lot of focus on the bike and getting a consistent run.  If you remember last year, two weeks before the race I injured my foot resulting in walking a very long 26.2 miles. I am focusing on keeping the foot healthy to be able to run in Canada….oh yeah, and listening to my coach…he yaps a lot when I do not listen….  ;)

Next weekend is Buffalo Springs 70.3 in Lubbock Texas. This race is a training day for me with focus on managing the heat. This race is known for some Texas size “bumps” on the bike course. Here is a snapshot of the elevation of the bike course:


Now that is something to do on a Sunday eh? And just think, we will have already swam 1.2 miles then will have to ride this roller coaster. I especially love the back to back climbs right at the start of the bike...good times. 

You can’t change Mother Nature so on we go to do our best.  It’s sad when the race details list the weather as semi-arid…you don’t sweat in the shade. This week especially, there will be a lot of hydrating going down on top of pre race excitement.  

From where we are located, Lubbock is about a five hour drive so Dr. Crane and I will be heading down the highway with from what I am told -limited scenery. Guess we better have some good tunes to play ‘cause that is a long drive!

After the race it’s all about IronMan Mont Tremblant as race day is August 19th. I have a good feeling about this year and rightfully so. There has been A LOT of training going down and a lot of focus on being smart about the goals.

Stay tuned and have a great week!
Janet

No comments: