Friday, July 2, 2010

The Journey to a Texas IronMan

So we are over the shock of enrolling for the race, now it’s time to get down to business.

During one of our training rides, someone who shall remain nameless for now…and it was not me, started the cycling out great. At one point, I checked to see we are still in a group and notice we are down one. Turning around, we head back and low and behold only twenty minutes into the ride, we have a flat tire. Puzzled we stare at each other and think jeez – we have not dealt with this in any race or ride. So who knows how to change a tire? We did not.

Naturally we turn to the male rider of the group and stare which in turn he stares back hinting he is not about to change the tire and we are going to have to change this tire ourselves. Better yet, it’s not my bike so I immediately offer to hold the bike while the tire is changed. I am a smart one I tell you.

After all is said and done, we have one person with more grease on the hands and legs than on the bike and one successful tire change.

Toward the end of our three hour ride, we encountered grasshoppers on the road. I don’t know how this happened and I am sure the grasshopper is still trying to figure this out but the little guy flew at me landing through the air vent of my helmet and on to my head. So I found out the brakes on my bike work quite well and I have definetly improved my helmet removal time which ought to cut time in transition. After flicking the little guy out of my hair, the helmet was back on and off we go to finish the ride.

The rest of the week was typical for training. One morning of open water swimming equaling just over a mile, two evenings of indoor pool workouts, and mix in some running and cycling. I typically have one day off a week from training and that day is Friday.

As far as dietary changes, I gave up soda over a month ago and drink –A LOT- of water. I am trying to make small improvements in my diet over time rather than a shock and awe campain. I even gave up chocolate…I mourned that loss for a good week or so.

So that’s it for this week. By the way….check out this pic – Dr. Crane changed the tire….grease and all.

2 comments:

Time Outdoors said...

Ironman Texas will be my first ironman... My goal is to enjoy it, not push myself so much that I regret it. Good luck to everyone.

Dr Marybeth Crane said...

Yes, This was my first tire change...and it took twenty minutes :)