Friday, July 9, 2010

The Journey to a Texas Ironman

Knowing you make a positive impact on other people’s lives I think is one of the greatest things we can do for each other. Many of our patients have commented to us over the years on our display of medals on the practice walls for half and full marathons. The walls then gained new medals for triathlon sprint, olympic and now half ironman distances. Hearing frequent visitors stop in and say, I was looking at all of the medals on the wall so I:
worked out for the first time in months.
am training for my first 5k.
took my dog for a walk.
eat healthier.
bought new workout shoes.
The comments go on and on.

This past week, a lot of folks were stopping in not only to say hello but to express how proud they were that we are going for the full Iron distance. I was in awe to hear such comments then I caught myself. At one point in my life, I was one of those in awe everytime I met someone who ran a half marathon or full marathon. I thought IronMan athletes were….well…nuts. Fast forward a few years and we became a part of those “nuts”.

The multisport lifestyle changes you. I remember a lifestyle of sleeping in late, with little focus on workouts. Now, I am lucky to sleep past 6:00am on the weekends and could not even think of missing a workout. The body and mind are greatly strengthened by this lifestyle and for that, I am indebited to this group of “nuts”.

This past weeks schedule of workouts was hampered a bit by much needed rain and indoor lap pool closures for various annoying reasons. Considering we can’t change the weather, I finally gave in and let my running shoes get wet in the rain…I know..such a girl.

Hopefully next week we will be back on track weather permitting. Next Sunday is the Disco Triathlon. This is one tri that I enroll in each year mostly because it is so darn fun and entertaining. Can’t wait to tell you all about it…now I have to go find my 70’s wig and get ready to Disco!

Talk to you next week!
Janet

No comments: