Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Journey to a Texas Ironman

Shiny Disco balls.....

And a day it was for the 6th annual Disco Sprint Triathlon at Lake Ray Roberts. I absolutely love this race. We had a nice challenge today and that was the heat. Whew! The song in my head throughout the course was Burn Baby Burn...Disco Inferno!

Originally the teen of our household and her friend were to come along and cheer however when they realized they would have to be up before noon, cheering was no longer appealing. I sort of wanted to stay in the cool house myself then again it was Disco and ya just gotta be there!

Prepping for a sprint is a snap. The night before, I have all of my race day items layed out in strategic order. I find what I am missing and what I really don’t need for this distance. I thought I was done then it dawned on me, I guess cycling shoes would be nice to have for the bike portion of the race.

Race morning was perfect. The lake was so calm and beautiful. I took a moment to enjoy the peace when suddenly to my left was a racer in all out 70’s gear. So much for the calm moments, life now became Disco.

I love watching the age groups hit the open water one coordinated cap color at a time. The lake's water temperature was like bath water and calm. Typically I stay in the back of the pack however this year I thought I would move up a bit. Glad I did –swim time improved and I learned to deal with flying legs and arms propelling toward my face.

Transition was pretty good and I really had fun on the bike. I can tell hill training is paying off as much as I detest hills on a bike in 100+ heat. During the run, I was in Ms. Social mode just talking away. I met a participant who is racing for the first time after dealing with thyroid cancer. We jogged a bit together to the first water stop. I was in awe and tipped my visor to him. I then met a lot of local runners in the area I had not seen in awhile. After many "hello" and "nice to see you" comments, I figured I better stop goofing off and finish the event.

After the race I met some more folks and joked with a friend who seems to receive awards at every race. I told Jim I would need to find a race with two ladies in my age group to ever place as I have never won any races. We laughed and I move on to pack up and walk Celeste (that’s my bike’s name) to the car with my husband.

Heading to the parking lot after the race I receive a phone call. My friend Diesel tells me to stop what I am doing and he has my plaque. I told him to stop goofing off then he tells me he won first place in his age division. I am elated for him! After waiting a few minutes, he rolls up and hands me an award with all smiles. Guess what? I finally got that 1st place.

The next race is a half ironman in September. It is the Inaugural Branson 70.3 in Branson Mo. So here we go to prepare for Branson! Talk to you next week!

Janet

No comments: