Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Journey to a Texas Ironman

The past week was a strong training session. Each swim was consistent, the bike was just plain fun and the run was refreshing. I know every athlete wonders why can't every workout week be as strong as one of "those weeks". At this point in life, I will take "those weeks" as much as I can.

Saturday was a travel day on up to Chicago for RNR. It was actually rest and relaxation with a half marathon thrown into the mix. We were all looking to return back up north and take a deep breath of cool air.

During the run, I realized how much I miss the swim and bike portions of a triathlon. The race was very well organized and crowd support was great however in a way, just running the half was well...a bit boring. A triathlon no matter what distance, you have to use your thinking cap a bit to smoothly move from one discipline to the next and plot out every mile. I have dear friends whom affectionately refer to themselves as running snobs....could I have stepped over to a triathlon snob? ;)

For entertainment, I decided to have fun and just observe folks. The conversations between runners ranged from every weather comment one could imagine to various training techniques. I particularly thought the two girls who "trained" for their race by running the longest distance of four miles funny and yes...stupid. I checked later that evening and yep, they both crossed the line. I bet they are rethinking their training strategy. Chalk up the travels with another half marathon medal and a great weekend with the family - not a bad combination.

We are heading back to Texas today and I am looking forward to training yet not so much the 100+ degree weather. This too shall pass....

Talk to ya next week!
Janet

No comments: