Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Journey to a Texas Ironman

The first week of August in Texas lived up to it’s weather reputation making training rather interesting. In a nutshell, there was nothing cool about the outdoor activities. Luckily, this week was a bit different than the norm due to traveling back from Chicago. I was spoiled by long pool swims coupled with short bike and run workouts.

Some athletes consider long pool swims tedious and boring. Luckily, my coach keeps it interesting. During one of the 3000 yard swim workouts this week, it startled me how far the level of endurance has progressed since the first triathlon that occurred over two years ago. I thought I was uber cool back then swimming 500 yards straight..oooh….ahhh….way cool.

During this weeks cycling, it occurred to me what heat and dehydration can do to the brain. As I rode in the elements, I started to envision the road buckling beneath the wheels. I then thought hey, wouldn’t it be wild if my tires just melted and left all the rubber on the street? Would you think the ants would be ticked off getting stuck in the melted goop of rubber? And if the birds swooped down to eat the ants, would they think they were dipped in chocolate? At that point I pulled over and drank water as the brain was heading in a pretty odd direction. The ride was finished with the reward of feeling tired yet refreshed along with being handed a lovely dose of that post workout scent. Fabulous but not so cool.

For the upcoming weekend, I get to head out on the bike and tackle hills. The weather is not breaking anytime soon so I guess I have to deal with it. In any event,no matter how exhausting the day’s events, the payoff is the workout and even better, to finish with enough stamina to throw in a few extra laps. How cool is that?

Talk to ya next week and of course….stay cool!

Janet