Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Journey to a Texas Ironman

Another week of training, another week of heat. I would suppose eventually there will be a blog from me not mentioning the weather however it’s August, I have to train and darn it…it’s hot outside!

This week was a lot of cycling and running. I decided to sign up pretty much last minute for the Hotter N Hell 100 miler to be held on Saturday, August 28th in Wichita Falls Texas. Yep, I guess if I have to train in this heat, why not pay to ride in an unshaded oven for six or so hours.

So I turn once again to the greatest running club around for some friendship during the long training ride before the 100 miler. I belong to the Lake Grapevine Runners and Walkers and consider myself pretty lucky to be a member as we have it all from walkers to runners to cyclists to swimmers and at all levels. So a few emails exchanged and viola – a group forms to ride last Sunday for a lovely 62 mile jaunt of beautiful roads, annoying hills and of course, 100+ degree temperature.

I invited a friend along to join in on the ride. It was not his day. I am sure everyone has had an off day, and his was a picture perfect off day. First, we ride for 4 or so minutes from the start and his chain falls off. Chain back on and off we go. Next, we encounter hills…he rides flat roads and has not dealt with too many hills during his current training. The heat and hills zapped him for a bit. The cool part was watching him fight through the hills and do it! To top things off, he fell last week and this week, he fell again the course. Unfortunately he falls on the same scar and the blood was a flowing.

Brushing off all the days challenges, he finishes and I am glad to see him finish because you know what? He could have easily quit, turned around never to be seen again, but he didn’t. That’s my friend and I am proud of him. He is training to one day also be an IronMan and when he crosses the finish line, we will all smile that much more ‘cause we watched and knew he has what it takes. Good job Scott!