Saturday, October 2, 2010

The Journey to a Texas Ironman

This week has been dubbed the week of easy. The fall race is done, Sherpa duty was a success and now the focus changes to next May. It is hard to believe race day is a little over eight months away. This process is similar to birthing a baby. The cool part is this baby is going to be an IronMan. ;)

The weekly workouts were labeled as level easy. Here is the sick part, I felt like I was letting go or lolly gagging. The truth is, recovery weeks are key and are a very important part of training. The hard part is getting the brain to accept that easy is good and it’s okay.

But easy does work. For example, the easy workouts took me from feeling like the blob entering the pool, to swimming a good consistent workout to leaving the pool roaring like Godzilla just not so tired. I think even Celeste appreciated some time off however being the great tri bike she is, I know she also was challenged with easy..or so her owner thinks.

A highlight of this week was meeting up with my coach for coffee. I only hope if you are training for an endurance event that you experience a coach like mine. The thing is, she is quite the opposite of easy. She is tough, matter of fact yet reassuring. The end result of our conversation has me in the right frame of mind. Race day is not going to be easy by no means for me however finishing will happen and it’s having the right person keeping you focused that will make all the difference.

Still no running, in fact, I am not to run for another five weeks or so. Honestly, this is one break I don’t mind so much. In order to get through this, the body has to recover and yes my left knee, I am talking all about you thus we focus on easy.

That’s pretty much the week wrap up. Nothing to out of the ordinary and that is okay. So join me and take it easy for a bit. You may just find this is exactly what you need.

Talk to ya next week,
Janet

No comments: