Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Journey to a Texas Ironman

Hi folks! Another week has floated right on by and still no running for three more weeks. Naturally, I have tried to obtain short distance approval from my coach. I received an instant reply from her which is the correct answer of no…le sigh.

A new twist was added in the form of longer cross training workouts. I popped in a DVD of P90x. Starting with the chest and back workout, I thought I was doing pretty good until I caught myself in the mirror with the T.V. screen in the background. Yeah…I was not quite matching the instructors and slightly behind the reps. I still pushed through the workout and managed to face plant only once during the “dive bomb” pushups section. A bit of ice was applied to the forehead that evening and now all is well.

The next DVD later in the week was P90x plyometrics. The instructor started the DVD advising you how tough this workout is going to be with the quote “this is the Mother of all workouts”. So as my stomach sank I began the warm up. Funny, this DVD was WAY easier than the arms and chest. The workout focused on fast twitch muscles consisting of leaps, jumps, squats and quick change movements. Given the years of competitive skating, then tennis along with basketball, it all came right back to me and finally, I had an advantage. YES!

There was one section of the workout where you place a stool in front of you and swing each leg over and back the stool switching off feet non-stop for a minute. I noticed they chose a lower stool whereas I had a high back taller style. After that section I was ready for the Vegas showgirl circuit as high leg swings were nailed with minimal effort. The result of this workout included a reminder of my success for the following 24 hours each time I attempted to walk, bend or reach for well…pretty much anything.

Cross training – necessary in this journey and look forward to more of them .
Have a great weekend and as always…..talk to ya next week!

Janet

No comments: