Friday, October 22, 2010

The Journey to a Texas Ironman

The long ride.

This once a week cycling workout is to get time in the saddle as they say and keep it steady. The scenary on this ride had numerous collections of road kill. For a minute, I actually felt bad for the armadillo that was run over then I came to my senses and realized he or a sibling might be the culprit on tearing up my flower garden.

At the scene of the crime, a feathery 747 a.k.a. “the buzzard” dove in to pick up Mr.(or Mrs…could not tell as it was too squashed) armadillo and begin to enjoy an afternoon snack. The interesting thing is as this 3 foot tall or so bird was dining, you would think as I rolled closer, the bird would fly away to safety. Nope, not this one. The buzzard continued to eat and stare me down. The stare down was of great intensity that I personally give only a few times a year at best when I need to get a point across. Just ask my husband.

To add to this weeks adventure, I had my first deep tissue massage in quite a long time. I was lucky to find one of the best sport massage therapists in the area. She quickly found many misbehaving mucsles that could very well add to my misbehaving knee. It was pretty intense and I did my best to get through the session. At one point, I was thinking it would really be cool to have Spiderman talents so I could crawl under the table and hang on upside down with my fingers and toes in order to escape the pressure of having my muscles worked out. That would have been pointless as she would have simply laid on the ground underneath me and continued the torture…errr massage session upside down.

After making it through the hour, it turns out I felt better and yes, I will return. In fact, I am adding this to my list to the Journey. Around the middle of each month, if you hear a high pitched scream just disregard. It will be me going through another session. I was sore in some places but the release of the muscle sets made the workouts that much easier the rest of this week.

Tack on deep tissue massages by someone experienced in working with athletes to the The Journey. The results are worth it!

Talk to ya next week!
Janet

No comments: