Friday, December 10, 2010

The Journey to a Texas IronMan

Hi Everyone! Another whirlwind of a week blew right on by and here we are on Friday, the 10th day of December 2010. It is hard to believe in just a few short weeks, we will enter yet another new year. Funny how quickly time passes when you are having fun!

The P90x challenge continues throughout the weeks workout. One of the biggest challenges I have with this fun series of workouts is the pull up. For a lot of women, completing repetitive, unassisted pull ups are difficult. I fit into this category. So I had an idea – if I have a pull up stand….by gosh I will be able to focus on this goal and be able to pull off the pull up just like the guys and gals in the DVD.

I zip over to the local sporting good store and meander around checking out the various types of pull up apparatus. I select a device called the Power Tower. It was a good price and offers many different exercise workout options. The sales person at the store was very nice and was very helpful in assisting me in selecting the right device for my goal. So the Power Tower was loaded in my SUV and off I dash home.

The box was not large and I thought this will be a snap to put together. Umm, big mistake…there actually was A LOT of assembly required. So I did the natural thing and opened the box, laid out all the materials, the tools and even the instruction manual then called my spousal unit in to put this thing together. Yes I helped…then suddenly had to run an errand with my daughter and darn, I had to take off.

Returning 45 minutes later, I find one spousal unit appearing slightly agitated and a magnificent Power Tower in our workout room. I jump on and start with the reverse situps, then test out the push up bar and then….the pull up. I used a box to stand upon in order to reach the handles. As I dangle from the Power Tower, I attempt to pull myself upward. No such luck. So I try again and again. At this point, my arms are on fire and I am still dangling in the same position. I thought perhaps I needed to warm up then make another attempt. Once again, no pull up…le sigh…

On the bright side, there is now one dandy piece of equipment added to the workout room. I also add another goal for 2011……to master this evil pull up exercise. At this rate however, something tells me I will be an IronMan first.

Talk to ya next week!
Janet

No comments: