Friday, January 7, 2011

The Journey to a Texas IronMan


Do you run with your dog?

I do and if you have a four legged running friend in the household, chances are you will find the following scenario very familiar:

In my house, we have a lab named Myles. Myles is just over a year old and is very perceptive to running apparel and running shoes. If I so much as even attempt to walk out of the house dressed in running gear and not take him with me for the workout, he reminds me of his dissatisfaction by acquiring a piece of my apparel and shredding it to bits prior to my return. He has expensive taste as he picks only the good threads. Finding a Jimmy Choo shoe in pieces or a Ralph Lauren blazer shredded really can get the point across. Myles is not in anyway like the dog from Marley and Me however he is determined and stubborn…..now that personality sounds familiar eh?

Running with a young dog that is way faster than you can be challenging. I often state on my face book page that I am going out for a “run…errr drag with my four legged blond”. Myles is a strong-alpha-male- leader- of- the-pack-kinda-pup. Running and holding the leash can be difficult with his strength. After this weeks run, I noticed a change in my running form and most of it was due to compensating for Myles and his running form. Alas, being the online shopper that I am, I searched for a solution.

I researched dog leashes for runners and Google really surprised me. There are many options for runners. After much research, I found the leash and placed my order. I purchased a “roamer leash” from Ruffwear.com (cute name for a website I thought). So in about a week, I will hopefully be hands free in my running adventures with Myles.

Now if I can get him to stop trying to “get to know” the poodle down the street, I just might get in a few more miles with Myles.

Talk to ya next week!
Janet

No comments: