Friday, January 28, 2011

The Journey To A Texas IronMan

Hello Everyone! For those of you with snow…again….I am with you in telling Mother Nature to knock it off. The pictures of the snowfall particularly in the east is unsettling. Hang in there my friends, spring will get here soon.

This week, I noticed an improvement in running. It is a welcomed sigh of relief given Ms. Injury Prone here has had quite a few issues. During today’s run I felt stronger with faster turnover in a consistent manner. Granted, the pace is slow which is nothing new however there was a definite increase in strength. For that, I am very thankful yet cautious.

Remember the Chrissie Wellington T7 racer shoes I ordered awhile back? Well, they arrived and wow – they are slick. I don’t think I would personally run long distance in the shoes, I will leave that to Chrissie. Given my feet, I am saving them for shorter distance running. The problem is the shoes are so cool, I don’t want to wear them outside! Maybe one day Chrissie would sign the shoes…..that would put me over the edge in Tri-Heaven.

Being 16 weeks out from race day, some folks have inquired if I am burning out on training or if I am doing too much too soon. I have to say with confidence the answer of no is my response to both questions. I think the biggest help was base building last November and December. Now, the workouts are slightly increasing yet they are still manageable. In particular the last two weeks, I have a surge in energy throughout the day. I have to thank my coach yet once again for the strategy. Thanks Della!

On top of energy, there is also a definite increase in food consumption. The staff know when I start to tank and they stop me from activity and insist I eat a snack. Without hesitation, I stop and eat one of the many healthy snacks I bring from home then I am good for a couple more hours. Thanks Peggy and Mandie for being my food police during the work day. I know it’s not pleasant when the triathletes of the office become hungry monsters.

So that’s about it for this week. After today’s long run and recovery swim guess what I am going to do? You guessed it……EAT!

Talk to ya next week!
Janet

2 comments:

Dr Marybeth Crane said...

The Kashi bars and Proteins shakes in the refrig are all mine! Cranky triathlon doctor is a baaaad thing! Rock on my friend. Long stuff is still to come. I'm planning a sprint in my T7's.

Dr Marybeth Crane said...

The Kashi bars and Proteins shakes in the refrig are all mine! Cranky triathlon doctor is a baaaad thing! Rock on my friend. Long stuff is still to come. I'm planning a sprint in my T7's.